Sunday, July 24, 2005

Birth Control: friend or Foe?


Ok so I have been blathering on about going of the pill and the effects I have been experiencing and some of you may wonder why the hell I would post this info on my blog page. Well I feel that women are not encouraged in our current society to truly talk about their health and bodies...and by truly I mean talking about blood, eggs, ovaries, cramps, hair, you name it the whole kit and kaboodle package that makes us up. Because of this many women suffer thinking they are freaks or something is wrong with them when they experience something that is not represented in popular culture. Many women suffer horrible side effects on the pill...many do not, but for those that do it can be an alienating experience as your doctor tells you what you're experiencing has nothing to do with the pill as she/he is writing you a prozac prescription! I myself have recently connected a ten year battle with anxiety/panic attacks to my birth control pill and have decided to go off. I post information on the progress here to create thought and dialogue on a long ignored topic. That and women are not told of how hard it can be on your body to go off the pill after years of use. After all, I have been giving my body hormones for 10 years, that shit doesn't balance out over night! If you feel the pill is causing more harm than good then do some research and educate yourself...I have decided that the only way I will find out if the pill is triggering my anxiety attacks is if I go off it and see what happens. So far my theory is correct!
In my search for answers and resources on the pill and anxiety attacks I have been emailing with a woman from France named Holi who has created a free online survey compiling information on womens experiences while taking the pill. I hope to help her and all of you interested by publishing the results of said survey here on my blog. If you are interested in participating in this survey go to:
Birth Control Survey
It does not matter what your experiances on the pill have been-good or bad-they are all valid and need to be heard.

No comments: